State Funded Options
State Run Care
State Funded ResourcesFor Your Convenience
Every state provides funding for drug and alcohol rehabilitation services through local county funded mental health or substance abuse treatment centers. This is funding that is specifically set aside through taxpayer dollars that can be accessed by those with no private medical health insurance or no income. Depending on the state, there are some requirements that need to be met before the individual can be accepted. Once the state deems that the client cannot pay, they may provide free treatment on various levels through specific types of clinics or treatment centers. State funded programs require proof of the following:
Official residence in that state, based on the state’s definition.
Proof of lack of income and lack of insurance.
Proof of legal residence in the United States.
Your addiction status and proof of need for treatment.
Start with SAMSHA
To begin this process and to find these treatment options by calling the Substance Abuse And Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA). Their website is organized by a Directory of Single State Agencies (SSA) for Substance Abuse Services to make it easier for people to find out whom to contact. The state’s government websites can also provide information on these services and how to apply for them.
Click the logo or call: 1-877-726-4727
If you are over the age of 65, you might find that drug rehab programs that accept Medicare are the best option for you. Drug rehab programs that accept Medicare often focus on the treatment of addiction and substance use disorders - as well as any co-occurring mental health conditions - for people above the age of 65.
These programs are designed in this way because many senior citizens who abuse drugs and alcohol tend to seek treatment only after their condition has caused nearly irreparable damage in their lives. Since most of them might no longer have some money or supportive family and friends, they may find it difficult to pay for their drug rehabilitation and treatment.
There are a variety of types of Medicare - including Parts A through to D. Some of these types will cover particular drug abuse treatment services. For instance, Medicare Part A covers stays at inpatient hospitals - which you might find necessary especially if your addiction requires detoxification and other treatments only found in inpatient hospital settings.
Medicare Part A also covers services that could prove useful in helping you overcoming co-occurring disorders - especially if you struggle with a combination of mental health and substance abuse issues. Therefore, in case you get hospitalized and get the inpatient services that Medicare covers, your out of pocket costs will be the same as if you had stayed in hospital for another reason.
On the other hand, Medicare Part B tends to cover outpatient treatment. These are also offered by drug rehab programs that accept Medicare - particularly in addiction treatment centers, as well as hospital and clinic outpatient departments. In this case, 80 percent of these services will be covered by Medicare while you can offset the remaining 20 percent out of pocket or through any supplementary health insurance you might have.
If you are over 65, you might find some state programs accept Medicare.Can cover up to 80%
A number of faith-based groups provide drug and alcohol recovery programs. These include the Programs like Christian Salvation Army Adult Rehabilitation Centers, which can be found nationwide, along with a number of other Christian support organizations, like Alcoholics Victorious, Christians in Recovery, and Celebrate Recovery dedicated to residential rehabilitation and support based on their specific faith traditions. These groups generally provide free 12-Step support or other counseling, religious motivation, and peer support group programs, but do not provide medical detox, requiring that their clients undergo detox before beginning their programs. Some religious organizations offer support organizations for people in rehab, such as the Orthodox Jewish Chabad movement recovery program and its residential treatment center for men in California, or JACS, a Jewish community addiction resource group in New York.
Faith-based rehabs use their faith traditions as part of their treatment programs. Finding these centers is often just a matter of talking to the leaders of these faith traditions to connect with the resources. Many of these programs are free of charge, but not all of them, so individuals should confirm before getting involved.